Thursday, January 31, 2008

Abby was funny this afternoon. She would get all agitated and fussy whenever she pooped or had to get suctioned, then she would tire herself out and go to sleep. She seemed to tolerate things a little bit better today. She was peeing today too. Dr. John said that he never really saw any kidneys "re-fail." So he thinks that she should continue to improve in that department. Dr. Jenkins also thought her kidneys should continue to get better as well. They are still slowly lowering the ventilator setting, and Abby is tolerating it well so far. They changed the dressing on her chest and said the wound looks good.

Dr. John said the plan is to close her chest by slowly removing the "links" in the "chain." After he is sure the plates are secure and fairly healed, he will remove one of those "links," then reattach the 2 ends, slowly bringing the sternum together. Of course, he has no idea how long this will take. It's all new ground.

I know I have said this before, but this is going to be a long process. I conservatively estimate that it will be at least 12 more weeks. I could be wrong, but - who knows. This whole thing is insane. It's starting to wear me down a little bit. But, I am still positive. Just need to keep focusing on the daily, little things. If I start to really think about everything, I go nuts.

No comments: